
The assignment is long overdue and I very happy that I am not in school at the moment as I would have received a failing grade for being so tardy in my turning it in for credit. The joys of being adults and writing a blog for the fun of it--no deadlines and I get to do things on my time. With that being said, I am off to discuss the topics for my assignment. They are as follows: Best and worst memories from high school and who were my favorite teachers. Let us begin....
My best memories from high school consist of the people that were in those hallowed, or maybe not so hallowed halls. I met some amazing people during my time at Bryan High School. Some of these people have been life long friends, some I did not get the to know until we were in college, and some have drifted away from me, but have come back to where I am at this very moment. Some have left indelible footprints on my heart that will never be erased. I am thankful for all of these people.
BHS was a very ethnically diverse high school and well, I was quite happy to be in honors and AP classes so that I did not have to put up with some of the riff raff that floated through the hallways. I say this, but at the same time, being exposed to a diverse group of people was probably one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Not everyone in this world is like me (thank God!) and it was good to know that the world comes in all different shapes and sizes.
Other fun memories from high school--the pep rallies (especially my Senior year), Friday night football, the Victory or no-so Victory dance held in the Commons, early morning orchestra room conversations, the lunch table, movie nights, note passing between classes in the hallways, stuffed in lockers, or any which way they could possibly be passed. Every single one of these memories involves other people, not just me. The people I met and became friends with are what made my years at BHS memorable, and dare I say it? Fun.
If you asked almost any famous musician or maybe not so famous, most would tell you that there formative years of developing who they are and who they were influenced by, happened with they were in high school. I find that amazing and absolutely true at the same time. It was during this time in my life that I became exposed to a wide variety of music. I developed a love for alternative music that is still with me today. At that age, I was so incredibly open in ways I still can not fathom today. The world had not mistreated me yet and my innocence was still maintained. Sometimes, I miss those days. Most days, I don't at all.
I am not won to live in the past too terribly much. I try to hold to the forgive and forget statement and it has served me well for much of my life. There have been things that I have forgiven but just put the forgetting part in the corner of my mind, tucked away, not forgotten as they were important life lessons learned from many of these things. So perhaps this takes me to my worst memories of high school. I am lucky that I don't have many and most of the ones that I do have revolve around some really petty things. For me, some of my worst memories were that of a broken heart via my high school boyfriend. My first experience in love, utter happiness, but the lowest of lows when it was all over. It happens, it part of growing up and learning about life. As painful as those memories are, I would not trade them as they have made me the person I am today.
The other worst part of high school for me was being in high school. I figured out pretty early on that my high school years would not be my glory years. I started working at TAMU when I was 16 for a summer job and I caught a huge glimpse at what life after high school was all about. I wanted it. I could not wait for it and it could not come fast enough. Was I ever happy when I walked across that stage and left high school behind.
I do have to say that while I was in high school, I had some pretty amazing teachers touch my life. The teachers who instantly come to mind are Mrs. Vetters (US History AP), Mrs. Pennebaker (Senior AP English), Mrs. Lampo (Junior AP English), Mrs. Casey (Sophomore Honors English), Mrs. Prejean (UIL Literary Criticism coach), and Mrs. Richards (Senior Biology). Each one of these ladies left a lasting impression. A few of these ladies taught me so well, I did not have to take college history or English. Others just had idiosyncrasies that are permanently etched into my mind---collate, Seniors, collate. Others were true mentors and actually talked to me like I was an adult instead of a student. As bad as a reputation that BHS had, it truly had some awesome teachers who I owe a ton of thanks and gratitude.
So those are my thoughts in a nutshell. I hope you took a little trip down your memory lane. It is a fun place to visit, but not to live. Life is about right now, go and live it.
1 comment:
Oh man, I forgot about Mrs. Casey. Loved her, but I think she didn't appeal to everyone.
This part: "Sometimes, I miss those days. Most days, I don't at all." That sums it up pretty well for me too!
Post a Comment