Thursday, March 17, 2011

One

Sometimes I think the world is telling me something…or really it is just the big coincidence of the day. Got me, but either way, I heard the same song today, not once, not twice, but three times—all sung by different artists. Yep, I did. And I am not talking about the new Pink song, but a song that has not had much air play in several years. Why should it? It is not new, but a song that was released back in 1992. Not a new one but a great one. It is “One” by the Irish band U2. Sometimes, it just does not get better than listening to the haunting almost melancholy lyrics that oozed onto Bono’s paper and out of his mouth (and the original version is amazing).


For me this song is just a trip down memory lane. It is the song that I danced to with the first boy that I ever REALLY liked. I became obsessed with this song. I remember hunting down the CD and recording it on a tape so that I had it and could play it over and over in my room. And most of all, remember that dance with that boy I liked. I remember just wanting to have that dance again, and maybe this time, he might like me as much as I liked him. At the time, it was such a simple wish. The innocence of a crush and a heart that had yet to be touched by break is probably one of the greatest gifts. It is too bad it does not last nearly as long as it should.

I received my wish. I did dance with that boy again, and even dated him for a little while. “One” was never our song, but it is a song that I first noticed because of a boy. Considering how this relationship ended, you would think that I would loath the song, but a good song is one that just rises above the proverbial baggage that is associated with it.

Not romantic to me at all, it has since become one of those songs that always catches my attention and I am drawn into it. Its words are inspiring as it talks about “carrying each other” and it is probably those three words that have made it a song about helping mankind. And right now this world needs to be helping mankind.

I hope you listen to this song and it stirs something in you today.

Weekly Music Inspiration:  “One”—U2





Is it getting better?
Or do you feel the same?
Will it make it easier on you now?
You got someone to blame

You say
One love
One life
When it's one need
In the night
One love
We get to share it
Leaves you baby if you
Don't care for it

Did I disappoint you?
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth?
You act like you never had love
And you want me to go without

Well it's
Too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light
We're one, but we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other
One

Have you come here for forgiveness?
Have you come to raise the dead?
Have you come here to play Jesus?
To the lepers in your head

Did I ask too much?
More than a lot.
You gave me nothing,
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again

You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other
One
One

No comments: