Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Great Tooth Incident

An emergency trip to the pediatric dentist is not fun.

On Friday morning, Elizabeth tripped in her classroom at school and managed to make one of her front two teeth loose, give herself a busted lip, which caused bleeding and general hysteria.  As calmly as possible her teacher, Ms. Yvette, told me that I needed to take her to a pediatric dentist as Elizabeth had a loose tooth. Great.  We do not have one of those yet. 

I called everyone and anyone that I could think of to see if they had names.  Then I went to Google.  What else would I do (and seriously, before Google, what did we do?)  Then the fun really began; not a single pediatric dentist was working on Friday due to regular office hours or Spring Break!  Seriously?  Seriously.  Do not even get me started on the fact that I am in the wrong freakin’ business.  I digress.  I finally find one open, and when they answered the phone the first thing I said was literally, "Thank God you are open."  Come to find out they do not take regular patients on Fridays and are only open for those that need dental surgery where they have to put them under.  The lady was kind enough to see if they could squeeze me in as it is an emergency.  And yes, they would take me.

After I pick Elizabeth up from school, kicking and screaming because she did not want to leave, we made it to Allen (yes, Allen) to the dentist.  After mountains of paperwork, and waiting for the dentist to become available, we had X-Rays.  Let me tell you, if you have not had that pleasure of holding a 2 year old and having someone shove that lovely thing in their mouth, you have not lived yet.  It was immediately followed up with a bracelet and a slinky.  Elizabeth was in heaven.  Then came the examination and that was not fun either.  After that, Elizabeth received a balloon.  Now we are a blissfull little girl.  The good news is that we still have a tooth—for now.  We have a follow up appointment in the next few weeks to see how the healing process is going.  If it is still good and in then we will continuously watch out to see if it dies for the next, oh 4 years or so when it is time for her to really lose her baby teeth.  :)

I am thankful that ordeal is behind us for now, but even more grateful, that there was a dentist who took us in during our time of need.  A big thank you goes out to Pediatric Dentistry and Dr. Tammy Gough.

No comments: