Tuesday, October 6, 2009

When do you shop?

Amazingly, we are in the last quarter of the year. Do you know what that means? Yes, alas, Christmas is just around the corner. As much as I would love to do all of my Christmas shopping in December when the malls are festive and gift giving is in the air, I can not. In order to avoid credit card usage in the month of December, I start my Christmas shopping early. How early is early? One year I started in an after Christmas sale in December. Esk, that is early. Usually, we start some time in September and then rev up with each passing month that gets closer to Christmas. This year, we are getting a bit of a late start and I am now compiling my list of who and what I am going to get with a dollar amount attached. And yes, I am a nerd and it is on a spreadsheet. I know, I know...

When do you start Christmas shopping?

4 comments:

Sara said...

We don't usually start shopping till after Thanksgiving - I love doing it while the Christmas spirit abounds. However, that means that there's always one person on our list that gets the last-minute lame gift because I couldn't think of anything else and I freaking ran out of time to come up with anything thoughtful.

And don't feel bad - we keep a spreadsheet, too. It's the only way I can convince my husband that yes, in fact we did spend THAT much money on Christmas last year... though it usually doesn't save us from the dreaded Christmas budget "talk" where he tries to convince me that we spend entirely too much and I try to remind him that it's not possible to find a thoughtful gift for anyone for $10. Oooooh, the fun :)

katy said...

Before James came along, I used to get all organized and start my shopping late August to early September. I'd usually be done by the 1st of December. Last year, however, I don't even remember Christmas occurring. And this year, I know it's coming but I haven't begun to think about it.

KT said...

Since I had strated my husband, back in 2004, I start thinking about xmas presents after our birthdays (which is july and august). I love giving presents; so i try to put a lot of thought in them.
This, however, i'm running EXTREMELY behind, because i have NO idea what i'm getting anyone. I don't even know what i'm going to get my daughter who is barely 2.
I know how i;m going to celebrate her birthday and get her for her birthday, which is January, but Xmas; no clue.
Hopefully, I'll be able to start getting ideas soon.

Alissa said...

I think I am the worst accountant in the world, because I don't keep spreadsheets for anything. I used to procrastinate big time on Christmas, but I'm getting better. Around this time, if I see something that might work for someone, I'll go ahead and buy it. We don't shop for too many people, though. And parents are easy because now we just get them things associated with the boys (framed pictures, calendars, etc).