Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Marriage or something like that




An old friend of mine is getting married this weekend. As much as I would love to be there to witness this blessed event, I am having to miss it. Sadly, it is out of state and my budget is not allowing me to fly anywhere at the moment. Even though I will not be at the ceremony, I will be there in spirit.

While thinking of this today, I thought about all the marriage advice everyone gave me when Sean and I got married all those years ago...okay, so maybe like 5.5 years ago, but whatever. I think back at all the cliche advice we received, but I'm going to lay it out realistically for ya. So here is my un-solicited marriage advice. Take it or leave it, but also know, I am still trying to figure it out too!
  • Everyone says, don't go to bed angry. I can tell you right now, sometimes there are things much bigger than one night and if that is the case, you would be up for days and maybe months on end. So keep it in perspective and don't sweat the small stuff.

  • The first year is great, watch that second one though. It can be a doozy.

  • Yes, the other person you live with will annoy you, but for some reason you love them anyway.

  • Learn to forgive AND forget. Grudges get you no where really quickly.

  • Have a girls night/boys night. It helps keep things in perspective and makes you appreciate the other, especially when someone is else is complaining about their spouse. You then realize how lucky you truly are.

  • Still do all the little things that won your love over to begin with--flowers, notes, an email that simply says I love you.
  • Go out on dates. And I mean dates--so dress up and not throw on shoes with whatever you were hanging out in the house in when you decided to go grab dinner.

  • Celebrate your differences, it is why you are together. No one wants to marry themselves.

  • The greatness of surprises. It keeps things interesting.
  • The key to ALL successful marriages is communication. You think I'm kidding and that is common sense, but it is one of the top reasons why marriages fail.

  • Children do not make your marriage stronger, they challenge your marriage--the good and the bad.

  • The person you are with right now is not going to change the moment you slip a ring on their finger. So if you have great expectations of them changing into something they are currently not, you are SOL.

  • Share you and all of you.

  • Take an adventure together where you know no one else--and I don't mean the honeymoon--go where you have to rely on that other person for your sole source of communication, or getting around, ect. Example--a foreign country.

  • A couple that prays together, stays together. Never underestimate the power of God in your marriage.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Great list, Kristin! So many of these resonated with me. Here's to making a great marriage!

katy said...

Great list. I would add: Prepare to make huge sacrifices for your marriage when necessary, and learn to do so without holding a grudge.

Congratulations, Zack!

libraryguyzack said...

Thanks Kris, Laura and I just read these. It would have been great to have you there, but we fully understand! I missing Mike's wedding for the same reasons (and he couldn't make mine either). At the wedding rather than a guest book we had a wishing tree, we read them our first night in Asheville and put some of our favorites on my Flickr page. You can see them here http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregorbug79/sets/72157622164605495/