Friday, September 25, 2009

Did you take your Mommy to college?

This week, my husband received information about his corps outfit reunion. Yea! Finally, we find out about it BEFORE it happens instead of AFTER it happens. Anyway, reading along, we find out this is being organized and put together by a H-1 Mom. Isn't that nice?

When I was at A&M (in those good ol' Army days of 1997-2001) and involved in the "other education," it was place that prided itself on being student organized and student led. I planned a Boot Dance, a Ring Dance, was a Group Leader in ALOT, belonged to several committees, and went to Fish Camp every year, and my mother didn't organize, much less run any of these events for me. As a former student, especially a highly involved former student (see above), I am greatly disappointed in my fellow Aggies. What does having your mother plan and organize an event for you, teach you in the long run? Absolutely nothing. The whole point of doing this is to meet, fundraise, and come together to celebrate a common thread in each one of these people's lives. Apparently, all you have to do now, is just show up and be there.

And do the Mom organizing this event, I know you probably think you are helping out, but in reality, you are hindering more than you are helping. These are 18+ year old people who are perfectly capable of handling this preparation on their own, they are just being lazy. Work at it peeps, it's not hard. There have been many before you who have done it, you can too.

1 comment:

katy said...

I'm constantly astonished by the laziness I see. It blows me away to see graduate students, just a couple of years younger than me, who are unable to complete the simplest of tasks or fill out the simplest of forms without plenty of good old fashioned hand holding. Of course not all are that way -- but too many are.