
Someone asked me the other day if I believed in the after Labor Day fashion rules. Hmmm…do I? Rules, smules…yeah right. If you have ever met me, you would know without a doubt, I am a rule follower and seldom a breaker. Man, don’t I wish I could be more of a breaker though… I do believe in the grey area of the fashion rules though. And let me tell you, I break quite a few of them when it comes to the Labor Day fashion rules. First, let’s review the rules (that I can think of anyway):
No white after Labor Day
No linen after Labor Day
No bright colors
No sandals and/or open toe shoes
White after Labor Day is one that I do follow. Somehow in September, it just does not seem right to wear white pants, skirts, or accessories. White just screams Spring to me—always has, always will. Of all the rules, this is the most cardinal of the one that gets me. White patent shoes after Labor Day is just not acceptable. The exception to the white rule is white shirts—they are a year round must have---and everywhere you look, this fall season is all about the white shirt, especially with detail (origami, ruffles, French cuff, ect.)
Linen, how we all love the look of linen. Oh how we all hate the fact that it wrinkles the minute you put it on your body. Linen truly is a summer fabric, but if I saw you wear it, I would not be harsh in my thoughts. But seriously, after September, it needs to be put away for the season.
Bright colors—well, I would wear black every day of my life if I could and nothing but, but I don’t want people to think I am in perpetual mourning. So perhaps I am the wrong person to ask my thoughts on this…. However, my thoughts are this: put the florescent colors away when the calendar says Labor Day plus 1. I would not mind it so much as a pop piece of color under a suit jacket, or in an accessory, but in a whole dress? Esk, no thank you. Please find another seasonal color that will look just as lovely on you.
Sandals and open toe shoes. Hello, I live in Texas and wear open toed shoes till it gets cold and I think my little piggies are going to fall off. Designers are putting out shoes with open toes and cut outs and all kinds of craziness, so I would say this rule no longer applies anywhere. Besides, something strappy just looks better with certain dresses/outfits. As for sandals, well, just think before you put them on your foot. I am a huge proponent of the flip flop for ease of taking off and on, for a quick trip, or just my casual footwear statement of the day. While I love the flop, they are not appropriate in the workplace (unless trekking out to the parking garage and the weather and footwear of the day is no longer permitting the long walk).
These are just my thoughts…do you have any rules you like or hate?
No white after Labor Day
No linen after Labor Day
No bright colors
No sandals and/or open toe shoes
White after Labor Day is one that I do follow. Somehow in September, it just does not seem right to wear white pants, skirts, or accessories. White just screams Spring to me—always has, always will. Of all the rules, this is the most cardinal of the one that gets me. White patent shoes after Labor Day is just not acceptable. The exception to the white rule is white shirts—they are a year round must have---and everywhere you look, this fall season is all about the white shirt, especially with detail (origami, ruffles, French cuff, ect.)
Linen, how we all love the look of linen. Oh how we all hate the fact that it wrinkles the minute you put it on your body. Linen truly is a summer fabric, but if I saw you wear it, I would not be harsh in my thoughts. But seriously, after September, it needs to be put away for the season.
Bright colors—well, I would wear black every day of my life if I could and nothing but, but I don’t want people to think I am in perpetual mourning. So perhaps I am the wrong person to ask my thoughts on this…. However, my thoughts are this: put the florescent colors away when the calendar says Labor Day plus 1. I would not mind it so much as a pop piece of color under a suit jacket, or in an accessory, but in a whole dress? Esk, no thank you. Please find another seasonal color that will look just as lovely on you.
Sandals and open toe shoes. Hello, I live in Texas and wear open toed shoes till it gets cold and I think my little piggies are going to fall off. Designers are putting out shoes with open toes and cut outs and all kinds of craziness, so I would say this rule no longer applies anywhere. Besides, something strappy just looks better with certain dresses/outfits. As for sandals, well, just think before you put them on your foot. I am a huge proponent of the flip flop for ease of taking off and on, for a quick trip, or just my casual footwear statement of the day. While I love the flop, they are not appropriate in the workplace (unless trekking out to the parking garage and the weather and footwear of the day is no longer permitting the long walk).
These are just my thoughts…do you have any rules you like or hate?
4 comments:
I am through with my white pants until next spring.
Never head the one about bright colors, though! My fall/winter wardrobe is every bit as colorful as the spring/summer wardrobe!
I remember someone also saying that you shouldn't wear black after Easter. I ignore that on a daily basis. I'm good at following the 'no white pants after Labor Day' rule simply because I don't own a single pair of white pants. Between my large rear end and my klutzy tendancies I steer clear.
I pretty much ignore all the other rules. But hello... I stay home with two rugrats so nobody would notice or care if I that I live in my flip flops year round.
Oh, but the ONE rule I do follow is to never wear black ON Easter. I don't know if that's actually a rule or not, but it makes sense to me!
Here's my take on "the rules:"
I've never found a pair of white patent shoes - or plain white shoes for that matter - that look decent so I don't wear them after Labor Day, or before. For some reason I'm always reminded of the white Mary Janes and matching Easter dresses that my mother dressed my sister and me in as children. I stay away from white shoes!
White pants/skirts are much the same but I avoid them because I just can't wear white without getting food or some other unflattering stain right in a conspicuous spot. I do love winter white and always toy with the idea of buying a pair of pants in this color but again, I think it would be a disaster for me, personally.
I'm a huge fan of colors! Especially with classic black and white. A pop of color in your shoes or jewelry or some other accessory is fabulous!
A peep-toe heel is sexy any time of year and I just don't see the point in putting them away after Labor Day. I think it should depend largely on the outfit and the occasion. I do think it should be noted that it is NEVER appropriate to wear panty hose with open-toed shoes. That should go without saying.
Post a Comment