Thursday, April 29, 2010

Breakable

Do you hear things in your head that is your mother's voice?  I do.  After over 31 years of life on this earth, I hear my mom anytime I am in a store and I walk past breakable things.  You know, figurines, the china section in any department store, or any specialty store that is a little crowded.  I hear this every time I am anywhere near anything breakable that I do not own, "Don't touch."  Never said in a mean way, just the sound of her voice lingering in my head.  I find it interesting that I never hear my own voice when I think it. 

I recently noticed that I have already started saying "Don't Touch" to Elizabeth. So that brings to light the question of do we turn into our parents in some way fashion or form?  I remember when the idea as a teenager horrifies you at every turn to be like your parents.  I mean, seriously, we are our own person full of our own original thoughts, our own dreams, and our own knowledge of what we THINK the world is like.  But let's face it, most of our original thoughts are not so original, we didn't know a thing about the world, and well, maybe our dreams are our own, but that might just be it.  It was probably somewhere in our parent's mind when they were teenagers, the same hopes, thoughts, and maybe even dreams.

The longer I live, and the more experience I acquire with this thing called parenting, the more I see myself in my parents.  Thankfully, I do not think that is such a bad thing, but a great thing.  I have amazing parents who put my brother and I before themselves.  They always made sure I had every thing I needed and even things I didn't know that I needed.  I learned a strong work ethic, I learned to love my fellow man,  I learned to love one another, and I even learned to not touch breakable things.  At the end of the day, no one really knows how to parent, we just look at how we were raised, how your spouse was raised, some common sense, and mix it together with some of own thoughts and philosophies and see what concoction comes out of it all.  And then hope and pray for the very best...

Music Inspiration:  "Breakable" by Ingrid Michelson

1 comment:

katy said...

I definitely hear my mother's voice in my head - little clips of conversations we had, or moments she said something that resonated with me or changed me in some way, as well as the day-to-day phrases she used (and probably heard from her mother.) What strikes me is that my mother's words to me (even those spoken when I'd done something terribly wrong) were always gentle. So far I don't have the same track record with James -- but that's something I'm working on.

(A side note -- I always like your musically inspired posts. It's fun to see where your brain takes you from the title of a particular song!)