Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Weekend Getaway

Sean sprang a surprise getaway on me early last week. We would be going to Austin, leaving Saturday morning and returning Sunday early afternoon. Sounds good...especially when you throw in the sleeping in part to the equation. The issue was me leaving Elizabeth overnight for the first time. After some discussion, we decided she would be perfectly fine in the capable hands of her Mamaw, and Mommy and Daddy could get in some good, uninterrupted time together. So off we went to Austin.

We took a more scenic route down than the traditional I-35 for a little more adventure. It was nice as the highway bordered the edge of the hill country so we actually got to enjoy some beautiful scenery. We drove to the outlet mall in San Marcos--not the wisest of ideas on tax free weekend--but didn't buy a darn thing! Who knew that was possible, especially with me in tow? Don't think I didn't WANT things, but well, you know how it is.

As in a previous post, Sean and I are huge fans of Man vs. Food. Since we were in Austin, Sean planned (I told him to surprise me) to take me to Saltlick's BBQ and Roundrock Donuts, the places Adam had visited in his show. All I can say was yum yum. It was delicious and worth the drive down. To top it off, Sean took me to Amy's Ice Cream just walking distance from our hotel. All I can say is that may have very well been the best ice cream in the world.




As much fun as the drive was down, and the food delicious, the best part was just getting to spend some quality time together. It has been long overdue and much needed. So a big thank you goes out to my wonderful husband for planning such a wonderful weekend away from reality, if only for a brief period of time.

2 comments:

katy said...

Yay!! What a wonderful get-away. Hope you had a fabulous time and can start your week feeling refreshed.

Leaving the baby for the first time overnight is tough. Unfortunately, I had to do that when James was about 7 weeks -- for a wedding I was in. And since then, it's been easy as pie!

Sara said...

Mmmm... Salt Lick and Amy's - it doesn't get much better than that!! We have so many great restaurants in Austin - you picked some good ones :)