Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We're Goin' Back, Back to School Again...


Do you remember the first day of school? Do you remember when you were actually excited to go back to school? Do you remember when you no longer wanted to be in school? I do.

I remember being so excited to go to school pretty much every year from elementary school through high school. During the elementary years, it was excitement about learning, having a new teacher, and seeing all the friends you hadn't seen over the summer. In junior high, it was the fact that you were in junior high and well, maybe a cute boy in your class. In high school, it was about being in high school and not being a baby junior high kid any longer. For my senior year of high school it was about not ever having to go back to high school and reaching out for those unknown, but has to be cooler than high school years. You could smell freedom in the air and it smelled so good.

This week is back to school week and I have watched many kiddos march off to the elementary school in our neighborhood filled with excitement to start the new year. They are so cute to watch--some of foot, some on bicycles, some holding onto dear life by clinging to their parent's hand. And every time I see one of them, I remember what it was like to be so excited about going back to school--brand new trapper keeper (those were the coolest), new lunch box and thermos (hello, My Little Pony), brand new school supplies, and of course, back to school clothes. It is so exciting to watch these little minds embark on their new adventure. Maybe this will be the year that they first hear of "Anne of Green Gables," learn about our Founding Fathers, or learn to multiply and divide. I think we all forget how powerful and life transforming school can be to a youngster. While I hold onto my baby as a baby for a bit longer, I do look forward to the day of her learning things in school and asking, "Did you know..." questions. That little mind already fascinates me, but I have a feeling, she will take it to a whole new level.....

What is your favorite back to school memory?

3 comments:

katy said...

I loved all the late-summer preparations for the first day of school: shopping for school supplies, a new backpack, and clothes. I spent at least a week planning the outfit I would wear on the first day!

katy said...

I also remember starting school on the Monday after Labor Day. What happened to that?!?!

Sara said...

Oooh... Trapper Keepers! And I loved the clothes shopping, too. I can still tell you which outfit I wore the first day of 4th grade.