Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Music

I am of the belief that music does make the world go round. Thankfully, I was blessed to have an open mind when it comes to music. I listen to pretty much anything except Spanish music and rap (but have been know to like some of that too).

Through my parents, I learned to love music from their generation--Dad more on the Led Zeppelin side of things, Mom on the Chicago side of things. Thankfully, my parents were always open to my brother and I listening to most anything we wanted (they never have understood the rap thing though) and encouraged learning as much music as we could. Though my father has never been a fan of classical music, he still attended every orchestra concert I ever had and I am thankful to have had such supportive parents who let me cultivate that love.

As I got older, a lot of my musical influences have come in the form of my friends. While I have always enjoyed alternative music, I learned a better appreciation for it when I met my friend Zack--quite the connoisseur of alternative rock. My appreciation for band such as REM, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and a whole slew of others was developed. In college, pretty much everyone I met brought something new to the table in my musical life. Some of it was Christian music, some of it country, some opera, some of it little known bands/guys who would make it big one day (can we say John Mayer and Pat Green, anyone?), and learned more of the greatness of bands that already existed.

What can I say? I like the new, the changing, the ability to relate to others through music. It is fun and almost universal.

As of late, I find myself listening to a lot more of the music from my days in high school. Thankfully, I have an XM channel programed just for that (it's Lucy, in case you were wondering) and have been revelling the funess of it all. Today, on my way to work, I listened to REM's "Strange Currencies." It was a great way to start the day. For some reason, this band has been on pretty much constant play on my iPod at work here lately--it probably has something to do with the fact that I have most of their albums on the iPod too!

I hope you find your song of the day--mine is usually established in an email to my husband before 9AM!

No comments: