Tonight I lay my heart out wide open for all the world to see. This blog focuses on our day to day lives, but for the most part, I tend to keep things pretty positive. Sadly, this is part of our day to day lives and I share my pain with you.
It has been a rough weekend in the Kier household. We received horrible news on Friday night about our dear friends (see previous post) and then Saturday we woke up and it was Sean's birthday. To celebrate the day, I took off to go and get Dunkin' Donuts for a little birthday breakfast. Shortly after finishing our breakfast, I let the girls out to play in the backyard. After awhile, we heard a non playful yelp. Sean and I ran to the back window and looked out to see our Ginger laying still and not responding. Sean scooped her up and took her to the emergency vet that is not too far from our home in Frisco. Elizabeth and I followed after I woke up very quickly from her nap. As soon as I walked in the vet came and told us that Ginger had passed away. We believe that she had a heart attack.
To say that we are grieving is an understatement. Most people probably think, well, it's just a dog and yeah, you are sad, but it's just a dog. But Ginger was not just a dog to us, she was our fur child. Sean and I spent several years married before we decided to have a child. We love and treat our dogs as if they are our children. We had decided that if we couldn't have children, then we would be happy, just the two of us with our dogs. We had found some peace in that. Raider and Ginger each have their own unique personality that is all them. I can tell by the shake of the head which dog is near me....they are true friends, loyal, compassionate animals who just love to love.
What most people do not know is that Ginger came into our lives when she was a little over a year old. She had been passed from house to house not having a permanent home her whole life so we rescued her and made her part of our family. Somewhere along the way, she learned to be potty trained, fixed, and to be a very loving, caring dog. When Ginger came to us, she showed us how grateful she was to be in a home that loved her. She was an overly affectionate dog and she picked me to be her master just as much as I picked her to be my dog. What very few people know is that Ginger came into my life during a particularly dark time where hope and happiness seemed extremely fragile to me. Sean did not want another dog, but I begged, pleaded, and told him that I thought this would be a good thing for me and for Raider. He relented. I saw her and fell in love and she has been my dog ever since. Ginger brought a smile to my face on days when I didn't know if I could smile, much less laugh. She brought so much joy and love to me, and truly helped pull me though this time in my life. I am forever thankful that God choose such a creature to be my friend and companion.
Ginger was kind of the underdog in my opinion and something else a lot of people don't know about me is that I am a sucker for underdogs. She didn't have a home for her early life, came into a household with a very alpha sister, and was extremely submissive...almost to the point of being scared at the slight raise of voice or hand. But she came into herself in our family with lots of love, affection, and hugs, not to mention her numerous sloppy wet kisses. We saw her accept a baby into our home, watch the kids next door learn to not be scared of her and other dogs, and to give her sister someone else to play with and not be an only child any longer. She and Raider kept me company while I was on bed rest, always entertaining me and with there crazy play and the "bear." Ginger loved her toys, big or small. She loved ice. That was the greatest treat in the world to her. So easily pleased and so simple. Ginger just wanted your love and of course, her tummy to be rubbed. She was one of a kind and there will never ever be another one like her.
My heart aches and my eyes overflow as I write this, but it would be an injustice to her for me not to share my love for her. I miss Ginger, I love Ginger, and I know she is in Heaven with God making Him smile as much as she made me smile.
Gingy, you will never be forgotten and always loved by your Mommy and Daddy.
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Kristin - I was so shocked and saddened to read this post. I understand how she was a member of your family and not just a pet. My thoughts are with you guys during this time.
I just want to add my few thoughts. This weekend was pretty sh!tty all around. I can not read this post without bursting into tears. Ginger was such a wonderful dog. We have lost a part of this family and Raider has lost a friend and partner. I still think she is going to show up at the door at any minute. We wouldn’t know it b/c she would never bark. She would never inconvenience us. She was loyal to anyone who gave her attention and loved to lick people. Annoying at times but it was her way of showing how much she loved being around you. Just by looking at her face, we can tell that she knew she was loved by Kristin and I. To my Gingy, I love you and I miss you. This house will not be the same without you. I know that your love and affection is needed elsewhere and you are making someone else very happy. We love you Gingy.
Sean
Oh, Kristin and Sean, I am so sorry. She sounded like such a sweet dog from everything I've ever heard about her. I've never had a dog (only cats), but I know what a horrible feeling it is to lose a pet. Especially at such a young age, and so suddenly. I am so sorry ....I don't know what else to say except that my heart is heavy for all of you. Lots of love, Alissa
oh guys, I don't even know what to say except I am so so sorry for your loss.
K&S: I'm so, so sorry. Losing a pet is exactly the same as losing any other family member, and I know you are grieving so much. What a lucky girl Ginger was to land in a home overflowing with love. Hugs to you, and extra pats for Raider, who must be having a hard time also.
Bless your hearts in this time of grieving. May you find peace and comfort in your memories.
Kristin & Sean - I'm so, so sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!
Post a Comment