And begin it did with gusto. After the whirlwind that was Elizabeth’s 3rd birthday (more to post on that later), we are about to set out to leave for the airport when Sean looks up my flight to find out that it has been delayed by two hours due to a huge snow storm that has hit London and delayed flights outgoing from Heathrow. Thus, the plane I was booked on was going to be late. The bad news is that there was only going to be short window between our flight landing at Heathrow and us catching our flight to Chennai, India. Sean tells me, well, make sure you have your jacket handy just in case.
Upon arriving at the international check in of British Airways, the lady informs us that because so many flights were delayed that they would probably hold the flight to Chennai once they had the majority of the passengers for the flight. So that was good news.
British Airways is uber pimp in my opinion….especially in business class which I was immensely thankful for as that is one long flight. After a lovely dinner, watching 50/50, and a bump night of sleep—literally, there was fun turbulence—we landing in Heathrow….and just missed our flight to Chennai. Yep, apparently, they had the majority of the passengers without us—and it was the only flight out that day. After they re-booked us for the next day, booked us into an airport hotel, and gave us a lovely overnight kit, we had an afternoon in merry ole’ London town.
![]() |
| Countdown in Trafalger's Square for the London 2012 games. |
![]() |
| Queen Elizabeth on the outside of the church--I am sure that is when the church was build. :) |
While I have travelled some in this lifetime, there are many places I have yet to see, but what I do know is that I absolutely love London. Granted much of it comes from my love of English history, a language I can understand, and well, let’s be honest, a British accent is just stellar in my opinion. So when you tell me that I am spending a day in London by mischance, you bet I am all about it. As we had such a brief time in London, and two of the people I was with had never been before, we decided to do the bus tour to see as much of London as possible. No visits to museums or churches was had, but we were able to see all the big sites from the bus—Big Ben and Parliament, Buckingham Palace, The Tower of London, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and the Tower Bridge of course. It was a great overview…then we hit up Harrod’s for dreaming, and H&M for practical clothes to wear the next day as we had already been in the clothes we were wearing for two days by then. :)
After a night of rocky sleep, we set out for the over 9 hour flight to Chennai, India and made it in around 1 am, India time. It had been a very long day by then, but we made it safe and sound and that was the most important part of the whole journey. Now begins the meeting of new people, experiencing the Indian culture, and of course, working. It has been a great adventure so far and continues to be so.
![]() |
| Big Ben and Parliment |




3 comments:
I was wondering when we might get an update! Glad to hear that you've made it safely to India. Enjoy your time there and soak up every bit of the experience.
I can't wait to hear more about the adventure!
I've been wondering, too! I love this -- it's so exciting to think of all the "side adventures" you're going to have during the big one! Looking forward to lots of posting and pictures. Hope you love the experience.
What a great way to turn an inconvenient layover into a whole new adventure! I'm excited you are there and hope you are settled safely. I cannot wait for more! :)
Post a Comment