....you do what the Romans do. Have you ever heard that before? I know that I have and well, let me just say that I have had a few experiences that I have tried that I never thought I would on this journey. Some are unique and cultural experiences, others are just ones I hope to not repeat again....so here goes nothing.
Indian Food: To say that I am a little particular with what food I actually put in my body is an understatement. And, no, I am not a health food nut by any stretch of the imagination. For lack of a better term, I am a picky eater. Yes, I know, how is this possible? But it is true. Give me some good ol' all American food, Mexican food, or Italian, and I will still find a way to say cut this or put this on the side. Ordering with me is an adventure. :) But here, well, I don't know exactly what I will be eating so I just go for it and hope for the best and pray that it is not too spicy. Overall, eating Indian food has been good to me. I eat a lot of rice and chicken, prepared in many ways, but have learned to steer clear of a few things--paneer (which is chunks of cottage cheese--yuck), most of the chutney's, and I have come to find out that I do not like mutton (lamb) much no matter how it is prepared. There are a few things that I do enjoy a great deal--rice for one (although, I think I am about riced out), lentil soup, and of course, naan. Naan is an Indian flat bread which is just tasty--especially with a little garlic on it. Delicious. I have definitely and without a doubt given it the good ol' college try. I am ready for some normal food though. :)
Upon entering the hotel in Agra, we were each given a red dot on our heads. It was cool to the touch and suppose to have a cooling peaceful effect on you. And it did for me--well, the cooling part of it.
And then there is what will forever be known as the Taj Mahal bathroom situation....
The Taj Mahal Bathroom Situation: After being in the car for several hours on a very bumpy road in the back of a car, yours truly really had to go to the bathroom--really badly. The potty dance was going to start at any moment when we finally walked into the outer parts of the Taj Mahal. Our guide pointed over to the direction where we could find a "clean" ladies room. We walked in and the line was long, the passage extremely narrow, very crowded, and the floor had a lovely layer or wet to it. Hmmm...what was going on in here? As we got closer in line, we realized that there were not toilets flushing, just the sound of trickling water coming from behind doors (not stalls). Upon entering one of these "facilities" there was literally a hole in the ground. How the heck do you take care of your business? The good old fashion way of squatting over the this hole and going. When you are a little kid on a road trip you learn the joys of going on the side of the road. It is so much easier for boys. I learned at a pretty young age that I did not care for going outside and developed a bladder of steel. But this time, there was no choice. Yep, that was a real treat. Since then, I have dreamed that I have had to do this again. It was really more like a nightmare. I'll fight through it and I some how do not think that therapy will be necessary .
Airport Frisking: You can not really see it in the picture, but that sign above the metal detector literally says something along the lines of Ladies frisking line. And yes, you literally get frisked in the airport. A woman security person feels you all up from the top to the bottom making sure you are not flying with anything you are not suppose to--and that is after she has already run the wand over you. There is no random selection here--everyone gets this fantastic treat.
Well, that's all I have for tonight...I hope you are enjoying your day/night depending on what part of the world you are in when you read this. :)
Indian Food: To say that I am a little particular with what food I actually put in my body is an understatement. And, no, I am not a health food nut by any stretch of the imagination. For lack of a better term, I am a picky eater. Yes, I know, how is this possible? But it is true. Give me some good ol' all American food, Mexican food, or Italian, and I will still find a way to say cut this or put this on the side. Ordering with me is an adventure. :) But here, well, I don't know exactly what I will be eating so I just go for it and hope for the best and pray that it is not too spicy. Overall, eating Indian food has been good to me. I eat a lot of rice and chicken, prepared in many ways, but have learned to steer clear of a few things--paneer (which is chunks of cottage cheese--yuck), most of the chutney's, and I have come to find out that I do not like mutton (lamb) much no matter how it is prepared. There are a few things that I do enjoy a great deal--rice for one (although, I think I am about riced out), lentil soup, and of course, naan. Naan is an Indian flat bread which is just tasty--especially with a little garlic on it. Delicious. I have definitely and without a doubt given it the good ol' college try. I am ready for some normal food though. :)
![]() |
| Me |
And then there is what will forever be known as the Taj Mahal bathroom situation....
The Taj Mahal Bathroom Situation: After being in the car for several hours on a very bumpy road in the back of a car, yours truly really had to go to the bathroom--really badly. The potty dance was going to start at any moment when we finally walked into the outer parts of the Taj Mahal. Our guide pointed over to the direction where we could find a "clean" ladies room. We walked in and the line was long, the passage extremely narrow, very crowded, and the floor had a lovely layer or wet to it. Hmmm...what was going on in here? As we got closer in line, we realized that there were not toilets flushing, just the sound of trickling water coming from behind doors (not stalls). Upon entering one of these "facilities" there was literally a hole in the ground. How the heck do you take care of your business? The good old fashion way of squatting over the this hole and going. When you are a little kid on a road trip you learn the joys of going on the side of the road. It is so much easier for boys. I learned at a pretty young age that I did not care for going outside and developed a bladder of steel. But this time, there was no choice. Yep, that was a real treat. Since then, I have dreamed that I have had to do this again. It was really more like a nightmare. I'll fight through it and I some how do not think that therapy will be necessary .
![]() |
| This is what the whole in the floor looked like--just use your imagination as to what was in it. |
![]() |
| Frisking line. |
Airport Frisking: You can not really see it in the picture, but that sign above the metal detector literally says something along the lines of Ladies frisking line. And yes, you literally get frisked in the airport. A woman security person feels you all up from the top to the bottom making sure you are not flying with anything you are not suppose to--and that is after she has already run the wand over you. There is no random selection here--everyone gets this fantastic treat.
Well, that's all I have for tonight...I hope you are enjoying your day/night depending on what part of the world you are in when you read this. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment