![]() |
Every night on the news there is something that just makes me shake my head in wonder at how people can be….well, people or perhaps Neanderthals. The thing that really gets me is how so much could be avoided by people having a little respect for their fellow human. I am by no means a person who advocates that EVERYONE should be friends, it just is not possible. I do not confess to being a perfect person or always doing the right thing. I KNOW I have been a person who has half listened, a person who at times, ignores the world and the people in it, and a person who has just as many faults as good qualities. I am trying to work on those faults—some are easier to work on than others. But the first step is realization. I am right there. And in the process of it, I have discovered more about myself that needs some further attention—and I am not a bad person, just an imperfect one.
I am trying to instill good qualities into my daughter. There will never be an excuse that she is not well behaved, that she does not have manners, that she knows how to write a proper thank you note, and most of all, that she has compassion for her fellow brother and sister in this world. I want her to have opinions and not be afraid to express them, but I want her to know that there is a respectful time and place for them as well. I want her to have her independence but never forget where she has come from in life. I want her to dream, but grounded in her common sense. All of these hopes and dreams that I have for her are not unrealistic, they just start now with teaching her love and respect. Her Daddy and I have our work cut out for us.
What is the most respectful thing that you have ever been taught that you feel is missing?
Music Inspiration: “A Little Respect”--Erasure

2 comments:
How to respectfully disagree - so few can do that these days.
I could work on respectfully getting off the phone with telemarketers. I am bad at making those calls end as quickly as possible without listening to them. It's easy to forget they are doing their job too.
I'm trying to learn to put myself in others' shoes, before making a comment or judging someone's words or actions. It's a slow process.
Just the golden rule, I guess. It would be neat if everyone could adhere.
Post a Comment