Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 New Year's Non-Resolutions


I could make a list of resolutions, it is the season to do so after all, but I promise you this:  I will break every single one of them.  For some reason, I hear New Year's Resolutions and it screams, "Break me, break me, break me" over and over in a a really loud and obnoxious voice.  So I will not make New Year's Resolutions, but will make some non-resolutions or goals that I would like to work at or accomplish in 2011.  You see, I like to actually think up things that are possible, realistic, and attainable.  I did this last year and to be honest with you, they did not pan out how I thought they would.  While last year's goals were attainable, they just did not happen to the extent that I would have liked them to have.  This thing called life happened, things changed, and now I am re-prioritizing what I am humanly capable of attaining.  If you read this blog much, you may see some repeats from years gone by...it just means that it is still very important to me and a focus again in 2011.

So here they are in no particular order....
  • Read for pleasure.  I think I actually started and completed a whole whopping 3 books last year...and I have one book I have now been reading for over a year.  Reading is one of my greatest pleasures and I am not finding the time to make it happen. 
  • The year of finances, finances, and finances.  It is a slow, sometimes painful, tedious necessity in life and one that I hope to better wrap my arms around this year.
  • Improve church attendance this year and join a Bible study of some sort through the church or outside of it.
  • Be a better friend.  I truly treasure the friends that I have in my life but know that I can do a better job of nurturing those friendships.
  • Update my iPod more often!  I know that one seems a little silly but it is amazing how a little tune up once a month or so could really make it the most precious of possessions (not that it is not already).
  • Have a date night with my husband once a month.  They truly do refresh us as a couple.
  • Exercise.  I am always willing to exercise my mind but when it comes to the body, I just can not find the motivation.  I need to.  I want to.  Now just do it.
  • Find me some me time and not squander it.  I recently realized that I have not had me time in quite awhile (no husband, no child, no other people, just me) and I need some of that just to stop the endless chatter in my head.  Just like a date night with my husband will refresh our relationship, the one I have with myself would improve as well.
  • Yoga and/or pilates.  I tried a beginning yoga class a few years ago and really enjoyed it.  I want to start up again and it would probably help my back out a whole lot too.
  • Purge.  I have "stuff" all over the place and am very much into decluttering my life and surroundings this year.  It is just stuff and stuff I will never use or go back and look at.  This will be an on-going battle as I am a pack rat.
  • Continue on my diet...it works, it really does, just  gotta keep at it!
  • Get a new couch.  Hint, hint, husband.
  • Be the best wife I can be to my husband.  He deserves everything that I can give to him.
  • Cherish every single little moment that I have with Elizabeth.  She is growing up and changing so fast and one day I will look back and realize that she is a teenager.  I want to soak in every single one of those moments--even the not fun ones, they are still moments with her.
“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”- Neil Gaiman

2 comments:

Summer Says... said...

Great goals! I need to make my list, but just haven't felt inspired yet. I guess #1 should be to procrastinate less...haha!

Yours is the second blog I've read the Gaiman quote on...such a great
sentiment!

Alissa said...

Good list! I also want to join the YMCA this year and start doing Yoga or Pilates. And I also am trying to declutter....I'm not a pack rat by nature, but I'm running out of storage space in my closet and it's starting to drive me crazy!

As far as finances go.....have you guys ever taken Dave Ramsey's class? We never have, but I listen to his radio show and it's making me think about money and finances in a whole new way. It's addictive (and I think you can get it on Podcast....).