Thursday, October 21, 2010

Somebody to Love

What is the whole concept of a soul mate?  Do you believe that there is only one person in the whole entire world just for you?  Do you believe that someone comes into your life for whatever time and then leaves it for whatever reason?

Hmmm....questions.  I am thinking a lot about this recently as someone I know is struggling with some really big, real life questions about love, marriage, and the possibility of no more love and marriage.  Some really big thoughts.  I do not know what to think about that.  I see both sides of the struggle...and some stuggles you get through and some you do not. What does it take to work?  Can you truly put everything in and it still not work?  Why do some work and others do not?  I know I have asked these questions of myself before and I will be honest, I still do not know the answer to some of those questions.  Other questions, I do know the answers to and remember those answers all the time as I know what it takes to keep my husband and myself going.  Still wondering...

At the end of the day, I know that we are all searching or have searched for someone to love.  I think it is one of those basic human needs that we seek out companionship.  Even if it is fleeting, Alfred Lord Tenneyson knew something when he said that it was better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.  Maybe he really is on to something.  And maybe his full of crap.  But regardless, I hope and pray that the one I know struggling right now will make the best decision for themselves...I have faith and I hope that they do too.

Music Inspiration:  "Somebody to Love"--Queen

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good questions, and I've pondered them myself many times. Too bad we don't live closer (or see each other more often); we could have dinner and discuss over a bottle of wine - not that you'd drink any but I'd enjoy it. Ha!

Danielle said...

Great questions to ask, but so difficult to answer. I've struggled with this in depth in the past, and still do from time to time. But my answers may not be right for everyone nor would they work for everyone. It's hard to see someone struggle and not have the magic solution. Praying for your friend and you as you support them.