Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Pacific

Sean and I have been catching up on a little bit of TV from over the last week tonight.  Yes, I am aware that we probably watch too much TV but that is what a DVR is for and we can speed through the commercials quite nicely.  Anyway, tonight we watched the making of "The Pacific" which is a ten part mini-series set durning World War II with a storyline that is specific to the Pacific campaign and three real life Marines from the 1940s.  First of all, it had me at World War II, but secondly, it had me with the fact that it is being done by Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks who brought us "Band of Brothers."  If this is even half as well done as "Band of Brothers" was, this will be an incredible story. 

One of the very first things that Sean and I bonded over when we started dating was the fact that we both loved the "Band of Brothers" mini-series and a fascination with World War II.  In fact, at some point every year, we try to sit down and watch the series from start to finish.  We have not completed the series in a few years as life just seems to always get in the way, but the intentions are good.  It is something that everyone should see.  I will warn you, it is not for the weak stomaches of the world and it is definitely not something that children should be awake during as it is graphic. This story is not a warm fuzzy and not a political piece getting people to go out and join the military.  I can only imagine that it is the closest thing any of us will ever see that is like experieincing war.  The story is reality and something that will make you appreciate those that have gone before us; those that have made the ultimate sacrifice, and those that have had their story brought to life so that we can learn from it.  I have a feeling that "The Pacific" will be just that--an education, an appreciation, and a feeling of pride and patriotism.

Check it out!  It starts this Sunday on HBO at 8:00 pm.

2 comments:

katy said...

I love Band of Brothers. Let us know how this new show is.

Alissa said...

We love Band of Brothers too....Dean has been looking forward to this show for a long time. We don't have HBO so I guess we'll have to rent it when it comes out on video. Enjoy!

I love anything WWII-related too. We watched the series on the History Channel last summer/fall(?)...I was glued to every minute of it. Such a fascinating (and awfully sad) war.