Here is Grandaddy's obituary:
Rufus Woody, 88, who was a loving husband, father, and grandfather died Friday, September 3, 2010. He was the proud father of four children: Rufus III, Lou Kier, Andy, and Claire Loria, and a devoted grandfather of ten. He was the proud great-grandfather of four. Rufus became an Eagle Scout in 1937; he served as an Assistant Scoutmaster in West Des Moines, IA, from 1957 to 1960.
Rufus dedicated his professional life to public service. He retired as a Colonel after 31 years in the Air Force. He served in the European Theater during WWII flying P-38s. On May 17, 1944, he photographed Omaha Beach at fifty feet, for which he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Later the engineers told him that the photos allowed them to destroy obstacles which probably saved thousands of American lives. He flew 69 missions with the 31st Recon Sqdn. during which he was awarded a Silver Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, Air Medal with 11 OLCs, and the unit received 4 stars while supporting General Patton’s 3rd Army across Europe. After retiring from the Air Force, Rufus became a public safety expert for the State of Texas, planning evacuation and emergency response plans for different municipalities.
The day after retiring from public service, Rufus began volunteering for Meals on Wheels and More in 1984 with his late wife of 63 years, Martha. During his 26 years of service, it is estimated that Rufus delivered more than 45,000 meals to the homebound elderly in Central Texas, and was chosen to deliver the Millionth Meal in Austin. Rufus was recognized as one of the 2010 Five Adults Who Care Award by KVUE-TV and the 2010 Volunteer Women on Their Toes Award by the Austin Ballet Guild for his outstanding philanthropy work. Rufus has been active in St. Alban’s Episcopal Community of Hope ministry for many years and volunteered for El Buen Samaritano.
Visitation will be held from 7 to 8 p.m., Thursday, September 9, at Weed-Corley-Fish Funeral Home at 2620 S. Congress. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, September 10, at St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, 11819 IH35 South. Interment will be at 2:45 p.m. at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers the family requests memorials be made to Meals on Wheels and More of Austin, 3227 E. 5th St., Austin, TX 78702; El Buen Samaritano Episcopal Mission, 7000 Woodhue Dr., Austin, TX 78745; or St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, P.O. Box 368, Manchaca, TX 78652-0368.
I read this beautiful obituary and believe every word of it, but you want to know something? I read it and know that there was so much more to Grandaddy than what appears in this article. I am thankful that I met Grandaddy and his beloved wife, Madre as I truly believe that they have enriched my life in a way that can not be described. I'll attempt it though....
I had the unique experience of having met Sean's grandparents 8 years ago when we were still dating (I am the first grandchild in-law). I will never forget that. It was Thanksgiving and Sean asked me to drive from BCS to Austin to meet his grandparents and a slew of aunts, uncles, and cousins. I said yes and made the drive to met a whole lot of people who would one day be part of my family. I remember Grandaddy met me at the door with Sean and he introduced himself to me. His head came to just above my shoulder, but his handshake was a nice firm one. I went to the dining room table and sat with the family as everyone was finishing up leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner. Madre and Grandaddy were sitting at the end of the table, holding hands, and smiling. I don't remember them saying too much while we sat there, but I do remember them looking out from the end of the table at the family that they had created, nurtured, and loved with their whole hearts, with this look of pride beaming from their faces. It was like you could see cartoon bubbles above their heads. Those bubbles said, "Life does not get better than this." I love that. I want to have that.
Even though I did not know Madre and Grandaddy for as long as many others, they have left an indelible impression on my life and in my heart. I have learned life lessons from these two and I would like to share them as they are lessons I hope to always remember, cherish, and to live by as I grow and change as a person.
- A servant's heart.
- God, family, country.
- Volunteer--make time to do it.
- Love your beloved so much that at 80+ years of age, you are still holding each other's hands.
- Put your beloved before yourself.
- Don't slow down--that seems to be when you age.
- Keep your mind sharp as a tack.
- Embrace change, a new generation, and new things.
- Travel, have adventures, and make lots of memories.
- Remember those adventures so that you can tell your in-law grandchild that you really do need to go to Versailles palace. It's worth the extra time and trip. :)
- Appreciate the ones who have gone before you and died for your freedom.
- Take personal responsibility.
- RSVP in a timely manner.
- Just because you retire does not mean you sit around waiting to die. It is just the beginning.
- Work with your hands.
- Always remember to write your thank you notes and to write them meaningfully.
- Dove hunting with the family in the Texas heat is a way of life every Labor Day weekend.
- It is okay to have a strong personality...it is what helps keep my relationship with my husband strong.
- Do not work so hard that I forget what is important to me--my family. They need me more than my work does. This was my last conversation with Grandaddy in July. And he was right.
It is an end of a very pinnacle chapter in the Woody family, but you know something, the next one is just beginning. And if I know Madre and Grandaddy, they can not wait to see how the next chapter unfolds knowing that they have instilled the very best of themselves into this amazing family.
Bless you both and I am so happy to know that the two of you are together again in Heaven.
3 comments:
I'm so sorry for Sean and his family's loss. It's so tough to lose a beloved family member. We're thinking of you guys.
This is a great post -- lots of wisdom here that you can only learn from people of a certain age and stature. He sounds like he was a truly amazing person, and I'm thankful on your behalf that you got to know him!
Hugs to you and Sean.
Post a Comment