Sean and I are working towards getting hardwood (engineered wood) in our home. We love the way it looks, we are tired of the stains on the carpet, and we are tired of the dog hair that never seems to come out of the carpet. So we think hardwood floors is going to be the way to go. I have heard mixed results as far as cleaning, care, and other whatnots associated with them. So I ask, if you have hardwood floors, what do you think of them? Do you like them and why? Do you not like them and why? Favorite room for these floors? Did your allergy/sinus improve? What do you think about them in the kiddo's room?
See, lots of questions. Inquiring minds want to know....bring it on.
Monday, July 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I personally love them, but I don't like them in every room of the house. I like a mixture of wood, tile, and carpet.
In Tomball, we ripped up the downstairs carpet and put in an exotic hardwood (wish I could remember the name -- Justin would remember) and it was super dark brown and very rich. Probably the most gorgeous floor I've ever seen. But it was a bitch to keep clean. Amos hair really showed on it, and it was tough to keep it from showing streaks after cleaning.
In this house, I'm not sure what kind of wood we've got. It's a little lighter -- but we still have the same problems of amos hair and streaks. I have yet to find a hardwood floor cleaner that doesn't leave a residue of some sort. But even with that, I love the look of it. It's so warm and inviting.
Tile seems to be a little more forgiving in the area of cleaning. But it just doesn't have the same warm feeling to me as hardwood. That's why I like a mixture, I guess. We still have carpet in the bedrooms. I am okay with that -- I think I probably would have been happy with any of the three options in the bedrooms.
Chad and I plan on having hardwood in the house whenever we finally start building. I originally wanted it throughout but was convinced to stick with tile in the kitchen and dining areas.
The higher the sheen, the more wear you'll see - or so I've been told. The hand-scraped woods with a flatter finish show less, from what I've heard.
As far as cleaning, my mother always used a mixture of water and white vinegar (1/4 cup vinegar to 1 gal water) on both the wood and tile floors. She swears it never streaks!
For dusting, Liquid Gold always worked well but I was forbidden to use it anymore after my father skated across the floor in his socks. (Truth be told, that was really the only reason I ever volunteered for that chore. And hence, "pillow surfing" from one side of the living room to the other was invented.)
So funny....we are going through that same process right now. I actually posted a question on Facebook last week, asking whether people had opinions on hardwood vs. laminate (I've heard from some that laminate is better with kids). But we've decided on hardwood (engineered hardwood, actually), especially because we found some that are only a dollar more per square foot than the laminates we were considering.
We're going to replace the carpet in our formal living and dining rooms, which you see as soon as you come into our house. The rest of our downstairs is tile, and we actually considered tearing out the tile and replacing all of it with wood. I'm not opposed to tile in the kitchen and eating areas (like Jennifer said), but our tile is 12" and the grout looks horrible. It's just not very nice tile. But I am afraid that with little kids, the wood under our kitchen table would take a big beating over the next few years! So for now we're just starting with the carpeted areas....I guess we can probably expand it in a year or two if we decide to (hopefully the same wood will still be available!).
Of course I can't speak at all about keeping it clean, etc. But I will definitely remember Jennifer's advice about the vinegar/water mixture. I know dark woods are probably not the best with pets (dogs, especially), but that's my favorite by far! Hopefully our cat's hair won't be too noticeable....
Let us know what you decide!
Post a Comment