Thursday, June 3, 2010

Strange Currencies


I love strange currencies as it means that I am out and about, traveling the world, and hopefully a place I have never been before.  As we all know, there are many things that make the world go round and one of them is money.  You need it for almost everything in life and well, having money is nice, especially in a foreign country.

I have long been fascinated my the different currencies of the world.  You can tell so much about a country and what they believe in just from the currency.  You find out the important people, the important buildings, and what symbols they use to define there currency system. Having not been that many places in the world it
I do not have too many favorites.  But one of my favorites is Irish money.  They put a cool looking Elk type of animal on there coins.  Why this fascinates me, I just do not know, but it does.  :)  I also like English pounds and coins.  They put Queen Elizabeth II on every single bit of it.  So I wonder, when she passes, what in the world happens to all that money with her face on it?  Do they faze it out?  Does it carry on?   Random thought. 

When will my next strange currency event happen?  Who knows, but if you are going  somewhere out of the country, tell me what you learned from their money.  It could be very interesting.

Music Inspiration:  "Strange Currencies" by REM

No comments: