Thursday, June 17, 2010
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
I love this song. It is a classic, there are no ifs ands or buts about that, but it is a song that has stood the test of time. Originally sung in 1939 by Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz," this song has been re-made countless times since. Every generation has a new discovery of it and I have a feeling will continue to do so for many decades and generations to come.
For my generation, it is probably the Israel Kamakawiwo Ole' version that we know the best. He is a Hawaiian singer who plays it with a ukulele. Many have replicated it since and has even become popular at weddings. For the next generation, it just may be the version that Mr. Shuester sang on the season finale just a couple of weeks ago with an acoustic guitar. Whatever may be next, it will surely be just as good as all the ones that have come before. I have already introducing Elizabeth to this song, for it is what I sing to her when she is upset in the middle of the night. Maybe she will sing it to her baby one day. A mom can only hope.
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
OK this one's for Gabby
Ooooo oooooo ohoohohoo
Ooooo ohooohoo oooohoo
Ooooo ohoohooo oohoooo
Oohooo oohoooho ooooho
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby ii ii iii
Somewhere over the rainbow
Blue birds fly
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true ooh ooooh
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me ee ee eeh
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops thats where you'll find me oh
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dream that you dare to,why, oh why can't I? i iiii
Someday I'll wish upon a star,
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney top that's where you'll find me
Oh, Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
And the dream that you dare to, why, oh why can't I? I hiii ?
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Ooooo oooooo oooooo
Music Inspiration: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo Ole'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I LOVE that version of the song. Thanks for the happy thought on this Friday!
I love his version - my niece is a fan too. My mom used to sing it to her when she was rocking her. I'm more of a hum-while-we-rock kind of girl.
I walked down the asile to Cliff at our wedding to that song :)
Post a Comment