Right before we left for Mamaw's surgery center
Sean and I took Elizabeth to the ENT on Thursday afternoon. At our 15 month appointment and several ear infections later, our pediatrician recommend that we see an ENT to take a look at Elizabeth's ears. So we did.
Elizabeth passed the hearing test with flying colors (thank goodness) but there was a lot of fluid in there...one ear in particular. Tubes he said. Then he said he could do it as early as tomorrow. What? Tomorrow? That soon? Yep, that soon. So Sean made the executive decision and less than 12 hours later, we were those parents waiting for their kiddo to come out of the operating room.
Perhaps not having that waiting game was the best thing for all of us. A healthier Elizabeth, little anxiety time for Mommy and Daddy, and just getting it knocked out. The surgery went really well. As he thought, there was fluid in both her ears, but there was a lot more fluid than originally expected. Nice. We had an upset baby from the time she woke up till the time we got home though. She did not like the anesthesia at all. I can't say that I blame her any, but the poor thing just wailed and cried and hit me like there was no tomorrow. Thankfully a few naps later Elizabeth was back to her usual happy self. That was a sigh of relief.
4 comments:
Sweet little thing.
You're probably right that the lack of build-up time before surgery was a blessing. But that doesn't diminish how hard it is to sit there and wait once they take your baby away. You did the right thing, and you can rest now knowing she will be so much more comfortable (and you won't spend $10B on antibiotics.)
Glad she's back to herself.
I'm curious what your ENT told you about using ear plugs (or not?) We were instructed they aren't necessary for baths, or even the swimming pool -- unless the kid goes under to a depth of 1 foot or more, in which case the pressure can cause the water to rush in through the tubes. But we have friends who were told they had to always use plugs in the tub.
So glad she is out and doing well! I agree with you that the lack of preparation time was probably a good thing. Otherwise too much time for Mommy to worry!
Such a sweetie. So glad it went well. In the last few days I've become convinced that Drew has a hernia, which will require surgery (if that's what it is)....and I know...I'm already thinking about how stressful it will be for me and how glad I'll be when it's over (even though it's just a minor outpatient surgery). Hope this clears up all of her infections....I always hear success stories about tubes.
Katy,
We were told not to worry about ear plugs at all. Granted Elizabeth wont be going under much deaper than a foot in the pool, we are not going to worry about it. SDK
Post a Comment