Thursday, November 5, 2009

To Gift Card or Not, That is the Question?


Gift cards as presents. That is what we are talking about today, peeps. Do you like them? Do you not? Do you buy them because you do not know what to get someone? Is it because you’re lazy? Is it because it is incredibly convenient? Is it because you think the other person would enjoy the shopping experience more by picking it out themselves? Is it because they straight up asked for a gift card?

I personally, am a huge fan of the gift card. Yes, I do agree that it may not be the most personal of gifts, but if you get it from one of my favorite stores, that does make it more personal. Shopping for me should be a competitive sport and therefore, I enjoy it. I like to go in, check out the goods, run through quickly or peruse to my little heart is content. Do I spend said gift card right away? Sometimes I do, sometimes I hold onto it for something special, and sometimes, I let them accumulate so that I can put it towards something big.

Last year, my brother, Andy went on a tirade about how he does not like gift cards as they are not personal and he would much rather have the traditional Christmas present instead of the gift card. So I took it to heart and asked him what he would like for Christmas this year. What did he say? A gift card. So there you go…apparently, he is over his tirade and wants something in particular. I see his point however, on wanting a traditional present. For people that I know are not particularly fond of the gift card, I try to do something tangible, wrap it up with the gift card and that way they get the best of both worlds. That something tangible may make the value of the gift card monetarily smaller, but it makes them happy so I oblige.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Sara said...

For me, the value of the gift is in its thoughtfulness. If someone gets me a gift card to a place they know that I love to shop, I consider it a winner. If, however, they get me a gift card year after year to a movie theater that doesn't even exist in the town that I live (true story), I call that an epic gift fail.

I'll buy gift cards for other people usually only if they ask for them or if I don't know their tastes very well. Especially those tween nieces and nephews: Too old for legos but too young for normal adult gifts. Or, if I'm mailing the gift: It's most likely going to be a gift card because I don't have to go to the post office to send it.

KT said...

not a fun of gift cards, but I never liked monetary presents either. They're so impersonal and not thought out. I hate giving them, but apparently LOTS of people like them. So, I oblige and give gift cards or monetary hallmark cards.
However, no one is my family seems to respect that I don't like them and get them for me anyways. =(
But whatev, you can't check a gift horse's teeth, right? (or however the saying goes)

katy said...

Well...
When I'm the giver, I always have a tiny twinge of guilt over buying gift cards. It makes me feel a little like I didn't spend enough time thinking of something more creative.

When I'm the recipient, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have a gift card or even cash!

Summer Says... said...

I am a fan of gift cards. According to some members of my family, I am a little hard to shop for because more often than not if I want something, I get it. I think I am easy though because I love gift cards - to places where I shop/have services rendered.

Now, like Sara, getting me a gift card to a bookstore not located within 100 miles of where I live (also a true story), not so great, but it was a white elephant exchange and it was equally likely that someone would have lived next door.

A gift card for a spa service is one of the best gifts I can receive because I do not splurge on things like that for myself, but enjoy them immensely.

Anonymous said...

I like gift cards from other people except Kristin. She always puts so much thought into my gifts and look forward to them when occasion renders gifts

sdk

Alissa said...

I also use gift cards as a last-minute crutch if I can't think of something else, so I feel kind of lousy giving them. But for some people (like a brother-in-law who is into Sci-Fi and owns almost everything related to the subject), a gift card to Macaroni Grill is usually the best I can come up with!

I do love getting gift cards for myself....especially this year when there's so much I want to buy but don't want to spend my own money!

I also think you can make a gift card gift more personal by adding something like a small basket with specialty candies or cookies that you know the person likes (just to add a little bit of a personal touch!).