Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving has come and gone for another year. I am excited and sad about it all at the same time. I am excited that it came and good food was eaten, family seen, and good times had. I am sad by the fact that it will be a whole year before the next.

We drove down to Bryan on Wednesday afternoon as I was able to leave work around 1:00. I love working the day before holidays--light in the people department and they encourage you to leave early. Happiness. Anyway, traffic was a mess. We were a whole hour later than we normally are in our drive. On the drive down my Dad called and said he was given tickets to the Texas A&M/Texas game the following day and would we be interested? You bet...unfortunately, neither one of us had a warm bit of clothing for a 7:00 cold weather game. As soon as we got into town, off to JC Penney we went to acquire sweatshirts, hats, and shoes for me. Having an associate discount is a good thing in a jam! After our brief shopping expedition, we ate at the Chicken Oil Company. Sean had been craving it and it was good...not as good as I remember, but still good.


Thursday was a whirlwind of activity. We all managed to be in the kitchen at some point that morning and then it was off for the gorgefest known as Thanksgiving at my grandparent's home. The players this year are as follows: Mom, Dad, Andy, his girlfriend, Emily, Memaw, Pawpaw, Sean, Elizabeth, and me. The food was wonderful, everyone brought something for the meal this year, and it was truly a wonderful time to spend time with the family. Elizabeth slept through most of Thanksgiving much to my surprise, but woke up as the room was clearing out. She tried some turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and some carrots. Overall, it was a very successful first Thanksgiving for her.



After Thanksgiving lunch Sean and I trekked off to the A&M game. We were able to walk around campus for a bit before the game. Sadly, we missed step off, but made it to the bookstore and ran into some old friends of mine, Ann and Andrew. It was so good to see them, even it all the chaotic sea of maroon. As we were walking to our seats, we ran into more of our friends, Monica and Randy. It was good to see them and hopefully, we will be seeing them in about three weeks! My my friend Danielle and her sister joined us for the game. It was so good to see them. I haven't seen Danielle since March, shortly after Elizabeth was born. The game started and was a lot better than I thought it was going be. A&M managed to hold there own for most of the game and beat the spread. As crazy as the game could have been, I was very impressed with the fact that Texas only beat A&M by 10 points. I guess we could call it a Thanksgiving blessing...I would have said miracle had we managed to actually upset them.

Friday brought pictures, Layne's for Sean, leftovers, a dog (Raider) on the loose, and a very uneventful trip back home. We were able to get some things accomplished. Saturday brought lots of cleaning, a ton of laundry, and dinner with the Johnson family. Sean, Elizabeth, and I walked around Southlake town square and really had a chance to feel Christmas in the air. It was beautifully decorated and all the stores were open, just waiting for us to come in and buy to out little heart's contentment. A Christmas cookie sheet was the only purchase of the evening.

Today, I get the fun pleasure of working. Don't you just love retail? It has been a real treat to say the least. While I am working, Sean and Elizabeth are going to the grocery store, Sam's, and taking a stroll around the mall to get out and about. I think that really means, Sean is getting ideas for Christmas presents for me.
This week will be a busy one, I'm sure, but at least that will make the time fly.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and that you ate all your favoite yummy thankful foods too!

1 comment:

katy said...

Sounds eventful and marvelous! I'm always kind of sad when Thanksgiving is over, too.