
Today I was listening to Pandora at work—which by the way, if you are not doing Pandora, check it out…it is awesome! Anyway, so I was listening to Pandora at work and one of my all time favorite songs came on the mix. It was “One Headlight” by The Wallflowers. Why this is one of my favs? I have no idea, but it has always struck a cord with me. Maybe because it is a song about hope, making it through, and well, gosh darn it, it just has a really good beat. But it took me back to the very first time I heard it. It was in January of my senior year in high school. I was in the midst of one of the most emotionally draining times of my life. I was sitting in the backseat of my Honda Accord, waiting for my parents to get in after one of my brother’s high school soccer games. The song came on the radio and I was instantly hooked by it and have loved it ever since. Crazy, I remember exactly where I was and what was going on in my life. Needless to say, twelve years later, I am still loving the song. My place in life has changed, but it still strike a cord with me. Now it is just a different cord, it is one of nostalgia and finding a good song that has stood the test of time in my opinion. It definitely ranks in my top 25 songs of all times…
What was the last song you heard that brought back a flood of memories?
What was the last song you heard that brought back a flood of memories?
3 comments:
Music has such a way of taking us to another time and place. Music and smells.
The music that most does that for me is ballet music (I know you're shocked. haha.) Namely, Mendelssohn's "Midsummer Night's Dream." It's the last ballet I danced professionally, and the music signifies to me the end of a long race, the fear of not knowing what would happen next, the end of my time with the man I thought I would marry, and the beginning of a whole new set of opportunities. How's that for loaded? I swear I can hear only two or three notes from the score, and I immediately know what the music is and feel a flood of emotion.
I've been trying to think of a song that brought back a flood of memories and was having trouble finding one in the recent past... until I was in the car this morning and heard "U Can't Touch This." I vividly remember the last day of 7th grade in Mrs. Mohr's class listening to that song and C&C Music Factory on someone's walkman (Zach's, maybe?). Good times.
I would never have C&C Music Factory on a walkman!
Oh wait, 7th grade? Yeah, I probably would have :-P
Post a Comment