Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Diversity

I was recently checking out my Facebook page (yes, I have one if you didn't know) and I was reading all of my friend's status comments. I always find them amusing for some reason--sometimes they are random, sometimes serious, but always entertaining and a quick snapshot as to what is going on in their minds at that one moment. Over the last two weeks there have been a ton of political comments due to the Democratic and Republican conventions that have been going on in these lovely United States of America. Many of the status comments that I read, have dealt with said political topics and people. This prompted me to leave a comment that said that I am happy to have such a diverse group of friends.

My best friend commented on my comment and asked me why I like having a diverse group of friends. Well, that prompted me to really think about the question (so thank you Beth) and why am I happy to have such a diverse group of friends? I think it is because other people's opinions challenge me, inspire me, make me think of things that I may not have thought of before. I have been blessed since high school to have many different kinds of friends, different groups of friends---some closer than other, but none of them exactly like me. For this, I am truly thankful for I feel it has given me a chance to form my own opinions and have my own influences. I think one of the first people who ever challenged me the most is my friend, Zack. In may ways, Zack and I are night and day--but it is what I like the most about him and our friendship over the years. While we may not be as close as we once were, I still like to hear about his life and the paths he has chosen--and I am proud of him, just as I am of all of my friends. They are my friends for a reason, after all.

It is the continuous challenge to see the other side of the story that intrigues me--the finding out what makes people tick and then some. But you know the most interesting thing of all? If I were to take all the fun and diverse people in my life, put them all in one room, I may be the only person in that room to get along with all those different kinds of people. I kind of like that about myself. Would you be able to get along with all those different types of people?

No comments: