This weekend went and saw
“The Help” on the big screen (which is excellent by the way and a great adaption of the book) and this coming weekend, I am going to see
“One Day.” Both movies I will or have attend/ed by myself. Yes, sitting alone in a movie theatre surrounded by strangers. Usually, this is by choice too. Is that odd? Maybe for some people, but for me, nope, I am perfectly at home with keeping my own company.
I still remember the first movie I ever went to see by myself. It was 1995 and “Clueless” was out and by golly I wanted to see it. I remember asking my mom to drop me off at the movie theatre and I went in and saw it by myself. It was the first movie I ever saw sitting along—no friends, no boyfriend, no mom, just me, myself, and I. And from that single experience a life long passion began.
Do I always want to see movies by myself? Nope, absolutely not. Do I prefer it? Honestly, yes. For some reason, when I go with someone else, I get concerned about what they thought about the movie. Did they like it? Was it too risqué for the person I am viewing it with? What if they hated it and I loved it…or vice versa? For the most part, I just like to form my own opinions about what I am viewing and not have the angst of another person in the mix. Maybe I am selfish like that.
Disclaimer: Please note that I would still love to see a movie with you if you are reading this blog post, this is just my inner monologue going off is all.
I see more movies by myself than I do with other people. Some of it is just plain logistics. Sean and I have Elizabeth and can rarely escape together to go to a movie. And well, Sean’s passion is not the movies on fall Saturday afternoons. For me, it is the perfect opportunity to see a movie and have free babysitting. Another reason, is that it is just easier for me to work around my schedule and not that of others. Or maybe I like the opportunity to be by myself. Call me a rebel if you must.
Do you see movies by yourself or does the very thought of it give you the heebie-jeebies?
2 comments:
Pretty sure you and I have talked about this before, but I absolutely love to go to the movies alone!
Bridesmaids was the first movie I saw by myself - and that was just a few months ago. Once I got past the "I'm so alone I don't have anyone to see risque movies with in town" feeling, I actually found I liked it. I could laugh at the parts I thought were funny without worrying that I'm laughing or not laughing at the wrong parts. I still enjoy seeing movies with friends - but wouldn't mind seeing other movies alone. Especially the risque ones that could make my mom and I uncomfortable. :-)
Post a Comment