About a year ago, some of my friends and I were talking about books...good ones, and ones we should read if we have not yet. One of those lovely ladies said that "The Help" was excellent and said that her mother handed it to her with the words of read this and you will understand me better. I was intrigued. It took practically a whole year, but it was watching the trailer to this movie about a month or so ago that made me finally sit down to read this book.
I will not ruin the book or movie for anyone but I will say this: Though we do still live in a world where racism and inequality still exists, we truly have come a long way since the early '60s. We still have a long way to go though. As a mother, I can not imagine teaching my child to be discriminating the way that children where once taught. It breaks my heart that horrible words have such an influence on little babes. I know that it makes me think extra long and hard about my beliefs and what I say. Let's face it, Elizabeth is an extremely impressionable age where the things that I say may come back to haunt me. Even the simple little things of Mommy does not like broccoli are influences upon her. Ps and Qs, dear readers, Ps and Qs. Oh dear, heaven help me as I know that I fall short. I just pray that I fall short on the little things and not the big ones. And I pray that Elizabeth never judge someone by the color of their skin. It is an amazing thing about childhood, they are color blind until they are not. I hope it lasts a lot longer than childhood.

3 comments:
Glad you finally read it. I'm sure it wasn't a universally appreciated book, but reading it with that comment in mind made it meaningful to me.
Of course I was affected by all the racial inequality, but I also found the touches of sexism and homosexualty mentions poignant too. I cannot wait to see the movie. I have no doubt Emma Stone will make a wonderful Skeeter.
Such a powerful book with amazing characters. Can't wait to see the movie!
Best,
Tina
Post a Comment