Elizabeth is two and with that comes everything that two implies. Terrible? Terrific? Both actually. So far, this stage has been the hardest for me. Elizabeth is showing her independence, giving her opinion, and isn't shy about either one of them these days. It is frustrating to me as she is getting quite strong and never easily dissuaded from doing anything at all. Communication is here and there. She does not have the verbal skills to tell me what is wrong, but just enough verbal skills to express how unhappy she is when she does not get her way. As frustrating as it is for me, she is still the cutest, most adorable, and best present I have ever been blessed with on this great big Earth.
I was frustrated with XM's song choices this afternoon while out running an errand by myself and switched over to a CD. It was Taylor Swift's "Speak Now." The song "Never Grow Up" came on and I just sat and listened to the words for the millionth time. Every time I hear those words I think that for my little girl. I just don't want her to grow up. Right now, there are frustrations on both of our parts, but they do not compare to all the other things that she will face in the world--things that will hurt her, things that will change her, and purity of life that will one day become tainted by the world.
I love just sitting and watching her to see what she will do next. These days, she always has a friend in tow which reminds me of me as a child. We have had a steady favorite, but our circle of friends is growing. Below are some pictures of what Elizabeth is doing with and to her friends these days. The are humorous, sweet, and down right endearing. When I see her take care of her friends and nurture them, I feel like Sean and I must be doing something right as she realizes that she has to care for her friends the way we care for her. It really is a full circle.
For me, I plan on trying to take each moment at a time, a deep breath, and say the serenity prayer--a lot. And I know for certain that I will never want my little Elizabeth to ever grow up.
 |
| Baby wearing a headband. |
 |
| Elmo wearing a head band. |
 |
| Sitting our friends in their chairs to watch Sesame Street. |
 |
| Blowing kisses to Elmo. |
 |
| My happy, gregarious Elizabeth. |
Weekly Music Inspiration: "Never Grow Up"--Taylor Swift
1 comment:
So much wisdom in this post.
I want her PJs - they are too cute!
Post a Comment