Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Failure

I have a lot of things literally staring at me right now, and I have a feeling they are dropping massive hints…well, not even really hints, but more like, get up off your butt and do something. All of them deal with the big word that I have dreaded my whole life, “Failure.”

I have always dreaded failure. Maybe it has always been my desire to achieve…not always the best, but by far, never the worst either. In fact, I can not tell you the last time I considered myself the worst at something that I have do or have done. The self-aware person I am, can honestly say I do not typically put myself in positions to be the worst either. So really, it is my own doing to never be set up for failure. Aw, the safety of sitting on the sidelines and never taking a leap of faith of getting hurt, getting a bruised ego, or better yet, finding the greatest thing that ever happened to you. So why the fear? Why not take the leap of courage? I can rationalize all day long, I’m quite good at it too…but one of these days, I will stop it and just set my mind to something and do it. I have few things in mind. Some of those require very little, just some determination and a right frame of mind (attempt to jog), others require a lot more, like start up money to create something out of thin air (a business idea that has been floating through my head)…and others, well, others are just to do the best with what God gave me (trying to be more creative and make my own scrapbooks).

So, what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

3 comments:

katy said...

To me, this is one of the most frustrating aspects of human nature. It's unfortunate that we worry so much about failing -- but I guess it's some deeply-rooted part of our survival instinct.

If I knew I couldn't fail, and the money for it fell from the sky, I would own a gift shop!

Jennifer said...

I'd own a bakery...or a photography studio...or I'd write a book.

I think to remove the fear of failure would be a handicap to most of us. Afterall, you pretty much said it's what drives you to do your best. So cherish that fear and let it always push you to give 110% to everything you do. But don't fret if you fall short sometimes because it's in those moments that we learn some of life's most valuable lessons! (This is advice to myself as much as to anyone else!)

Sara said...

I'd get buff... sticking to an exercise routine has always been a struggle for me. It would be such a huge confidence builder if I could actually do it.

Hang onto those dreams! What was that quote? Something about trying and failing is better than not trying at all? Or something like that...

I can't wait to see the great things you do when you step out and give them a try :)