In the last few months, I have realized that I am getting older. I do not necessarily mean the number of candles on my birthday cake either. But some of my tastes have changed—and not necessarily in a bad way either. It is change, it is growing, it is knowing myself.
As silly as it may sound, it struck me in November when I was getting a little worn out on my Pandora mix and sought the opportunity to add a station to my mix. After reading several descriptions of what kind of music that was typically played on that particular station, I choose the one that best fit me, not paying attention to the name of the station. And then I did. It is called “Today’s Adult Hit Radio.” What? Adult Hit Radio? Where did this come from? Granted, when I was searching, I was looking for music I knew that would mix in with my Glee, and my mix station that has a lot of Joshua Radin, and such. In my further defense, it has a lot of right now music that you can find on any Pop/Rock station, but the name through me for a loop? Adult Hit Radio. When did this happen? When did I become that person who wasn’t seeking out the cutting edge? I am not sure, but it happened.
I was very unsettled by this fact for a little while, and then I embraced it. I have not turned my back on seeking one of my greatest passions, but that I have grown into appreciating it in a different way. And at the end of the day, I am an adult and have been for many years….again, I am not talking about the candles on my birthday cake. Some people are just born older, an old soul. I am one of those people—older than my years in so many ways with an appreciation for another time and place. Because I am that way, I have to work really hard at looking at the fresh and new. Sometimes it is harder than it should be. But at the end of the day, it is the new that actually inspires me. The newness of a new opportunity, a new place, a new word in my daughter’s vocabulary (please be sweet words), a new yummy food, a new discovery in my husband (just when you think you know it all….), and a new whatever may come. They are all part of life and I am thankful for that. No matter how I evolve or how many candles are on my birthday cake, I am me, old soul and all. I am thankful for the privilege for me to be me.

2 comments:
Oh, I so understand this post.
I am thankful that you are you, too. (Sounds like a line from Dr. Seuss). Any old who can be a new who. But you're the lone you who can be a true you!
LOL! Oh, I entertain myself.
Katy entertains me too!
I think it's the old souls in us that have forged our connections and friendships. There is something to be said for appreciating slower, simpler times - while staying current too. I think you excel at both beautifully.
Post a Comment