Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hands



I confessed yesterday that I was not in the Christmas spirit yet, but I do have to say that every time I hear this song, I think of Christmas.  Why?  It is not a Christmas song, but I remember hearing this song for the first time around Christmas in 1998.  I still remember the first time I heard it...I was in my car on a rainy night and it just hit me like a ton of bricks.  I immediate found the CD, bought it and it was on solid rotation in my car for months.  The ironic thing is that I am not a huge Jewel fan. There was a song or two that I liked off of her first album and since her "Spirit" album, not much has really stuck my fancy.  But for some reason, I can still listen to that album and it draws me in like a moth to a flame.  I just love it.  While it has since moved away from heavy rotation in my life and others have taken their turn as my go to album, this song still speaks to me. 

This song is rooted in my soul because it is a song that is written and sung about faith.  It is a song of hope, easing of the mind, and offering love to our fellow man.  It also reminds me to get down on my knees and pray.  So in a way, this song really is a Christmas song to me as it reminds me of the reason for this celebrated time of the year.  It is not about the hussel and bussel of the festivities, but the celebration of Jesus Christ coming to this Earth offering hope and love to mankind.  That is what this song is to me--using my small hands to offer more to this world.

If I could tell the world just one thing

It would be that we're all OK

And not to worry 'cause worry is wasteful

And useless in times like these

I won't be made useless

I won't be idle with despair

I will gather myself around my faith

For light does the darkness most fear

My hands are small, I know

But they're not yours, they are my own

But they're not yours, they are my own

And I am never broken

Poverty stole your golden shoes

It didn't steal your laughter

And heartache came to visit me

But I knew it wasn't ever after

We'll fight, not out of spite

For someone must stand up for what's right

'Cause where there's a man who has no voice

There ours shall go singing

My hands are small I know

But they're not yours, they are my own

But they're not yours, they are my own

I am never broken

In the end only kindness matters

In the end only kindness matters

I will get down on my knees, and I will pray

I will get down on my knees, and I will pray

I will get down on my knees, and I will pray

My hands are small I know

But they're not yours, they are my own

But they're not yours, they are my own

And I am never broken

My hands are small I know

But they're not yours, they are my own

But they're not yours, they are my own

And I am never broken

We are never broken

We are God's eyes

God's hands

God's mind

We are God's eyes

God's hands

God's heart

We are God's eyes

God's hands

God's eyes

We are God's hands

We are God's hands
 
Weekly Music Inspiration:  "Hand"--Jewel

No comments: