Do you ever get that distinct tingling feeling that starts at the back of your neck, right up the back of your head, and then it creeps up to the tip top of your head? I do. It does not happen very often, but it does happen. It happened for me a couple of weeks ago when I had the opportunity to see the Dave Matthews Band perform live.
While I have mentioned the Dave Matthews Band a time or two on this blog, I do not think I have ever made my point to you all, just how big of a fan I am. I am a huge fan. It started off casually in while I was in high school with “Ants Marching” playing on the radio. The next thing I know, I own their album, “Under the Table and Dreaming.” Though I liked their music in high school, I did not fall in love with the band until college. For some reason, I started listening to the words, learning the music, and developing a life long passion for this music.
When I told my boss that I went to this concert on Saturday he asked if I ranked them as he knows I am an uber fan. The answer is yes. And to be honest, the concert I went to in fall of my senior year is the one that stands out the most. It was the second of many Dave concerts thus far, but it was the one where the music was awesome, the night was beautiful, the seats were on the lawn, but the company that leaves the biggest impression. My memories take me back to a magical night where singing and dancing were required and “The Best of What’s Around” literally meant the two people I stood between.
And here I am twelve years later, still going to Dave Matthews Band concerts, still loving the music, and still enjoying the company that stands by me. This year, my beautiful, lovely friend, Summer took this journey with me and I was thrilled to experience her very first Dave Matthews Band concert. The music was not the most familiar, but still awesome. As the band plays, you can see the love of what they are doing. Each is a fantastic musician in his own right and it is a privilege to witness that kind of talent go back and forth on stage. Where else can you go to hear amazing music, but also Bach on a bass guitar? Yes, that happened. I am thankful that I had such an amazing night and already can not wait for the next opportunity to enjoy my musician friends.
This week’s music inspiration is inspired by one of the long jams from that night, where most of the song was sung by the crowd. Now those are fans.
Weekly Music Inspiration: "Jimi Thing"--Dave Matthews Band
2 comments:
Ahhh...this takes me back. They played small shows in bars in college as well as a few outdoor events on campus. Because I am old as dirt. Many memories with this band.
Best,
Tina
It was a wonderful concert and I loved sharing it with you! Jimi Thing is the first song I downloaded upon returning home. Followed by Dancing Nancies and the Bubble Toes/Express Yourself medley. I know that's Jack Johnson, but I heard it on Pandora on my way to your house and love it!
Post a Comment