Monday, June 18, 2012

Adventures in Dubai and Final Thoughts

Before our trip, Renata said she wanted to ride a camel and Curt said he wanted to ATV in the desert.  I said I was along for the ride. On our last night in Dubai, we went sandblasting which is riding in an air conditioned SUV with roll bars.  It is essentially a motorized roller coaster complete with tummy drops and what the hell did I get myself into kind of moments.  But a very fun way to travel in the desert.  After doing that for about 45 minutes or so, we went off to a camp that had camel rides, dinner, belly dancing and other entertainment, as well as henna.  It was a great experience and one that I will not forget any time soon.  

As it was the desert, it was very hot.  I have never been a person who is drawn to the desert.  Some people find them beautiful, I tend not to think so.  However, after having experienced it and seeing out beautifully pristine it can be, so untouched, and wavy from the wind, I can see how people do find it beautiful and peaceful.  I still prefer something with greenery though.  :) 

Renata and Teneka getting ready to go sandblasting.

Curt lookin' snazzy!

The Gobi Desert

The Gobi Desert


Our mode of transportation in the Gobi Desert.

We found sea shells in the desert.

I love Sean.

I love Elizabeth

My view from the camel!

Sunset from atop Carmello the Camel.

Me getting my henna.

The final product before it dried.

Belly Dancing!

The spinning guy.

I found Dubai to be a fascinating place.  It was truly where the West meets the East.  It is one of the largest melting pots I have ever seen.  There were literally people from all around the world converging in one place.  I have never seen anything quite like it to the magnitude that it exists in Dubai.  Perhaps what made it more so was the fact that this is truly a Muslim country.  For me, that was a new experience.  Every where you look there are women wearing burkas and living the life of a traditional Muslim woman.  The men wore long white tunics with head scarves and bands. Yes, you see it on TV, but then when you are surrounded by it, it becomes real.  And then the next person you see is a woman wearing shorts and a tank top and the guy standing next to her is wearing skinny jeans.  Dubai is a hodge podge of everything happening in one not so large place.  People come to Dubai to shop, do business, and live because that is where their business is.  And when I say shop, they shop.  There is literally every brand, domestic and international in Dubai--everything from a Payless Shoe Store and a Forever 21 to lines in front of the Gucci store...all in the world's largest mall.  It was surreal.

Dubai is nothing but shiny and new.  The city was clean minus the sand that hangs in the air, people obviously care about the way it looks, and it is still growing.  Everywhere you look, you see a crane in the air building on the next high rise building.  I feel that it will continue to be this way for awhile as it continues to grow into its place in the world.  

Dubai is a very rich city.  There is a high end car every turn you make.  In fact, we even saw a Rolls Royce driving along as we headed to our hotel from the airport. While a great deal of the women wore burkas, they carried designer handbags and when I say designer, I mean the latest and greatest from Gucci, Prada, Burberry, and such.  I even saw a family pushing a Fendi stroller.  I did not know Fendi even made a stroller.  There is no want of money in Dubai.  Considering where it is located in the world, I can see why that is the case.  It is the city built on riches and therefore, the best of the best.

I appreciate going to Dubai and getting to experience it, but I do not know if it is a place I would choose to go back to and spend time. While there are places I did not see and things I did not experience, I do not think that I missed out on anything.  Time will tell and who knows, I could go back again sometime and have a completely different experience.  That is one of the beauties of life.  :)

Thank you Dubai for being a lovely host.

1 comment:

Summer Says... said...

What a fun adventure! I love the henna - I did that in Hawaii and enjoyed the temporary adornment.