Yes, I am climbing up on my soap box as you sit and read this. Yes, I am ranting and raving about the great Thanksgiving and the Merry Christmas. But if you haven't noticed and have been living under a rock, wherever you look there is Christmas EVERYWHERE! It was like this country went from Halloween straight to Christmas. How dare that happen?
Christmas lights are up AND turned on, Santa is at the mall, and Christmas music is on the radio stations. Granted it is the Monday BEFORE Thanksgiving and we are awfully close to that most wonderful time of year, but no and I repeat no. We are not there yet! Call me a party pooper, but I like to celebrate my holidays in order and not skip around the calendar just because we can.
There is this little in between holiday known as Thanksgiving. Now I don't know about you, but it ranks up there as one of my favorite holidays. Why? Well, there is food involved for one thing, but another thing is that it is one of those days that is set aside to be thankful for what we are given or what has been provided for us. It is a much needed day off from work that for the most part is universally known and respected by the working world in America. And well, for me, it is the history of this holiday. Mankind helping mankind out during a time of hardship and eminent peril--grace and goodness was given. We all need some of that from time to time. You go and think about the things that you are thankful for this year....I know that I have been thinking on it.

4 comments:
Amen, amen, amen!!
When I saw the title of your post, I thought this might be a post about you flipping someone the bird while driving, and then getting into a massive road rage fight, where you ran the punk off the road and pinned them down while screaming, "Respect the bird, a##hole!!!" over and over and throwing punches, while onlookers called the cops. And then Sean had to come bail you out of jail, but first he let you spend the night so you would learn your lesson, and you came home with a new appreciation for stilettos as weaponry, and promised to keep in touch with your new friends, and then ran out to get a tattoo that would always remind you of your night in the chill factory. That would have been awesome.
But this post is cool, too.
;)
Agreed - I love Thanksgiving...aside from the cooking (and what holiday escapes that?), there is very little responsibility attached to it. No "perfect" presents to buy, no "perfect" outfit to wear and minimal pressure to be in a relationship (have yet to see a giblet shaped diamond commercial). Respecting the bird in Tyler!
You are not alone on your soapbox! I am cheering you on! Can we just take 1 minute to enjoy the holiday upon us and not rush throught to get to the next one??? what happened to savouring the moment??
Angela
Post a Comment