Monday, November 3, 2008

Weekend Cut Short

Well this weekend was the 8th annual father/ son trip where my dad and I go camping and hunting for the first weekend of deer season. This year was no different, we loaded up the truck and headed to Pineland, TX. Pineland is about an hour southeast of Lufkin and about an hour north of Jasper. It is a small logging town that has tens of thousands of acres of land in the Moore Plantation Nation Forest.

Well Saturday was pretty uneventful, I saw a doe and that was about it. She saw me but was not too concerned just walked off. As for Sunday morning, we got up at 4:30 in the morning and headed into the woods. After I am sitting in my spot by 6, I hear a deer snorting and just making a bunch of noise about 100-150 yards. I think he was spooked by my dad walking through the woods. About 20 min later I heard a deer coming towards me and it was light enough that I could see him through my scope. He lined up broad side on me and took the shot.

He was a 2.5 year old 4 pointer and field dressed he weighed 95 pounds. For east Texas this was a good size deer. All other deer I have seen there are smaller than my dogs. I was very happy to see him. So after dragging him almost a mile back to the truck we headed back to camp and we packed up and headed home. We always stay till Monday but b/c of the deer and the warmth we having , we had to cut the weekend short.



As always the best part was getting to go camping with my dad, it is a blast every year. Thank you dad for making it another fun year.

No comments: